Monday, April 21, 2008

Friendly, not really

I think there must be something wrong with me. What do you think? I don't have any friends, not really. I mean I have some acquaintances, some people that I see occasionally that I have known for a few years, but no friends. I have no one who knows or cares what is going on in my daily life. I have no one that I call when things go wrong or go right. I have my co-workers, but when we are away from work, we really don't see each other. Maybe I am just too busy for friends, or maybe everyone else is just too busy. I have often wondered if I am just not a friendly person, but I am. I joined this meet up thing to try to meet some people and find some other children for my son to play with, but really, I just did not click with anyone. My neighbor has a daughter just a couple of months older than my son, but she just doesn't seem to want to be friends. We exchange baked goodies every year at Christmas and we wave when we see each other outside, but that is about it. I think maybe it is harder for me because I am gone so long everyday to work and I am busy, but not too busy for a friend. Not too busy for coffee or a shopping trip or even a 10 minute phone call. Oh well, maybe it does just get harder to find and maintain friendships once we get older and have a family to take care of. I don't know what it is, but I know that I miss having friends.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

What about all the people below that made your birthday special? However I know exactly how you feel and I don't even have kids or a busy job.. yet I feel like I lack friends.. really good reliable ones. :(

Elmwood said...

yeah I feel the same way--I DO think it's our age...Just a few years ago I couldn't keep up with all my plans, then slowly people started getting married, etc. I said had it not been for school and meeting eople that way I would have NO friends!! LOL

It's not you, its our age, circumstannces, and really as we get older we tend not to want to force friendships, it's like if you don't click with someone right away, just move on who cares.

But I remember you saying a while back this was hard for you and you had to actually make the effort to get to know the other moms and stuff--don't stop keep making the effort....are play dates in your future? and not to mention once the babe gets off to school I think you'll definitely click with moms that way too, just make sure you get involoved where/when you can

p.s. I'm your friend!! :)

eatmisery said...

I'm 36. I get what you're saying. I think it's just something that happens to everyone as we get older. Don't sweat it.

Mama Beck said...

I agree with everyone here - but I gotta say, as much as we all think the same things it only takes ONE side of the fence to say, hey neighbor - does your hubby have your kid, cause mine has mine... ya wanna come over for a drink?

Kristi said...

It is definitely harder to maintain friendships once kids and family responsibilities come along. What about asking a coworker to go our for lunch with you? That way, you aren't taking away time after work when you have kids/family responsibilities.

heels said...

I don't either, but I never have had any. I'm not sure what it is. Honestly- I'm a pretty likable person in real life. I wish for friends more than just about anything...