Friday, March 07, 2008

Ex-family

Is it really possible to disown certain people in your family? Even if the part of the family that you like doesn't disown them? You see I really have no reason to want to be around certain people in my family. They are such white trash they make my stomach upset just thinking about them. You see the big problem that I am having is that they are close relatives of mine and most of our family get togethers are at my Moms and they are there. Well honestly I do not want to see them, I don't want my kids around them. So what do I do? Just not go and break my Mom's heart or go and have to be around people that I truly don't like? Mom's birthday (60th) was last week and I called up my oldest sister and invited her and her kids to a restaurant for a surprise party for my Mom on Saturday. It was awesome without the people that I don't like there. We had such a good time. She was so surprised, but she could not tell the other people about it because she did not want to hurt their feelings. She did say that it was the best birthday ever though! It isn't like any of the others have ever done anything special for her birthday. Easter is coming soon and Mom is already talking about the get together at her house. As soon as she mentioned it I started praying to get sick that day so we won't have to go. I have come up with a hundred excuses to not go, but I love my Mom and I hate to let her down but I am so sick of having to suck it up and be around these people. If they were not my family I would have lost contact with them years ago, much like the people that I went to highschool with. Anyway, am I wrong for not wanting to be around them. Maybe one day I will tell you the whole story of why I am sick and tired of them, but it is late and I am tired tonight.

3 comments:

Elmwood said...

oh man can I relate..my favorite saying is "blood doesn't make me have to like you"
I only know from experience, we have the same situation about a certain person in our family...It's not fair to the rest of the family (including your mom)not to be able to see you or your kids because of the "bad seeds"
I completely understand not wanting to be around someone...just an FYI the one I don't want to be around called me a drunken whore..oh yeah and worse has been said since then, but I am not going to let one bitch ruin me wanting to see my little cousins (see My Little Cuties Post w/Ms Coco:) or my aunt who is sick and dying of cancer.(the one wearing the Flirt shirt in my Thanksgiving pic)
Again just because I can unfortunately speak from experience
don't ever let someone let you regret anything, and I am sure you will regret your kids not knowing your mom because of the bad ones.
I think for the big holidays you have to just suck it up and try to keep to yourself as much as possible and if you can do more things like you did for your mom's 60th and keep things small and quaint, then do those as much as you possibly can.
Also let's say you did fake sick that day then it will be on your shoulders to carry out an Easter for you and your family...know what I mean?
(sorry for the loooooong comment :)

Kristi said...

You sound like me when I'm talking about my husband's family. I would like never to be in their company, and when I am, I'm counting the minutes until we leave.

I hope you sort things out soon!

eatmisery said...

You can be civil to them for your Mom, but you don't have to like them. And you don't have to talk to any of them. If they're smart, they'll get the subtle hint.

The last thing you want to do is argue with them. You are above that.