Wednesday, September 23, 2009

25 years ago...

Twenty-five years ago this morning my sister D and I had spent the night with my Granny. I remember waking up and laying in my Granny's bed with my sister when the phone rang. I knew who was on the other end and I knew why she was calling. I even told my Granny and sister before my Granny answered. Unfortunately I was right. It was my Mom calling to tell us that my Dad had died early that morning. The cancer had won and my sisters and I were fatherless, my mom was a widow. He was 41.

I have very few memories. I know very little about him. I can only tell my children a little bit about him because that is all I know. I am thinking of sending letters to his sisters asking them to write some stories and send me some pictures of him so that I can piece together his life. I thought once I get all of their stories together I will get my mom to fill in the blank spaces for me and I will compile it into a book for my family. I would like for my children as well as my nieces to know about their grandad.

Today was a sad day for me. I grieved for the loss of my father. I grieved for all the things that I missed out on because I did not have a daddy. I went to the cemetary after work and took an arrangement of flowers, not much else that I can do. I thought the book would be a good tribute for the father that I never really knew.

No comments: