Monday, April 17, 2006

Sleeping in your bed

My little one is growing up so fast right before my very eyes. Unfortunaltely they don't stay little forever. He has been having some problem sleeping the past month or more and we were convinced that it was the teething. He had gotten to the point that he would sleep for a 6-7 hour stretch at night before waking up to nurse. Well the past few weeks he has gotten back into the habit of waking every 3-4 hours to eat. That just wasn't working for my hubby and I, since we both work. So he had a bad night last Thursday and woke up several times and then woke up at 5 a.m. Friday whining, not wanting to eat and just really discontent. I was crying, he was crying my hubby was fussing about him not sleeping and we made the decision to put him in his own room that night. So, I was off work on Friday and I spent some of the day preparing his bedroom for its new occupant. I put his favorite blanket in his bed and removed all of the toys and stuffed animals. I put the monitor on his little nightstand and made sure it was working properly. After his bath when he was getting sleepy, I took him into his room and turned on his lamp and nursed him, while we rocked he drifted off to sleep. I picked him up and kissed him softly and placed him in his crib. He stirred a little bit and grabbed his blankie and snuggled into it and sighed and he was off to dreamland. I turned off his lamp and closed his door, making sure to leave it open enough so that I could peek in on him. I went back to my bedroom and cried, looking at his empty pack n' play, where he had been sleeping. Hubby was very comforting, for he too missed him being right beside our bed, but we both knew it was time. For our sanity's sake it was time. Hubby and I had a great night, we lay on our bed and talked, something that we have not done since my son was born. It was so nice, I felt like my old self again. It is really hard to describe. We all survived the night. He did not wake up for the first time until 4 am and I fed him and he went right back to sleep. Then I heard him whining at 6 am and I went in and gave him his pacifier and he went back to sleep and slept until 8 am. It was wonderful. He seemed to be more rested when he woke up and so was I. Hopefully he will be sleeping through the night soon, but for now he is sleeping longer and I will take all the sleep that I can get.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it must have been so hard to allow him to move to his crib. I really don't like this whole growing up thing either. No one told me how sad it makes you feel!

Elmwood said...

sounds like you did the right thing :)
you don't want him to be 1o and sleeping IN your bed..lol