Monday, August 06, 2007

Breaking out of my comfort zone

Okay so I took someone's advice and signed up on meetup.com to meet some local mommies and children in a playgroup. So our first meetup was planned for Saturday at a local park. I WAS SO VERY NERVOUS. I have major social phobias, so I just usually pass on any sort of thing that would actually require me to leave the house and interact with strangers. I was excited, but nervous. I wanted to back out of going several times, but how am I ever going to meet other people and have some children for the babe to play with if I don't take a chance. So as the time neared, I was dressed and ready, but nervous. Was I overdressed? Did I look frumpy? What about my hair, was it okay? So I loaded the babe in the car and off we went, to the bank and then to the park. Well the babe was in an especially cranky mood, since he was sleepy and had been up way past his bedtime the night before. Of course he went to sleep in the car, so I got to the park and got him out of the car and as I was walking up to the park I thought it looked rather empty. There was one other woman there with a baby. So I approached her and asked if she was M, the group administrator. She was! So I introduced myself and the babe and we put the kids in the swings and pushed them. Well we kept pushing the kids and waiting for other mommies to show up and they didn't. There were at least 7 other RSVPs that said yes and yet none of them showed up. Everytime I tried to take the babe out of the swing he would whine. He would not play with the other little girl or on any of the playground equipment. He just wanted me to either hold him or push him in the swings. So after an hour of playing we decided to go, it was hotter than hell and the babe was ill. Maybe next time more people will show up and it will be more like a playgroup. At least I put myself out there and tried.

6 comments:

The Queen B said...

Meetup is my social lifesaver!! I've actually met so many great other woman and learned of other SAHM's in my neighborhood. But, this group was the 2nd group I joined (there are many in my area), the 1st group no one ever showed! It does happen a lot but I still tend to meet some great people.

Congrats to you for stepping out of your comfort zone!!

eatmisery said...

Imagine how she would've felt if you, too, hadn't shown up. That would've been a disaster.

I'm proud of you for going. It'll make the next time you go that much easier. Yay!

Elmwood said...

I'm proud of you too! I bet it will get easier the more times you go!! :)

Jodi said...

Good for you! Keep trying!

J.

Kristi said...

Have you tried your local library to find mom and baby friends? I've met so many nice moms with kids Isabella's age there, and my library has some fun programs for babies too.

Christine said...

Aww! Girl, you are a wonderful person to be around... cute, funny, sincere. I'm proud of you for seeking out a playgroup. Try again, maybe mroe will come and the babe will be less moody! :-)