Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Safe toys

Is there even such a thing anymore? So far we have several of the toys that have been recalled due to high levels of lead in the paint. Of course these were all small toys that most children would love to put in their mouth and chew on. Thank goodness the babe is not too bad about putting things in his mouth. Most of the time he has his "pa" (paci) in there, which I guess is a good thing, at least it isn't filled with lead paint for him to suck on.

I am so infuriated with these toy companies. I remember a time when things were actually made in America and we were proud of that fact. Now most of our stuff is imported from foreign countries who for the most part don't really care for America and they don't have many safety and accountability standards in place to ensure that the products that they are creating are safe. I worked in the manufacturing industry for 5 years and I watched our jobs being sent overseas to other poor countries that had plenty of workers willing to work for nothing compared to our salaries. I also saw the work that came back from those countries, far below the quality of work that the american factories were putting out. Yet still, more and more of our jobs are outsourced and now with all these recalls we are beginning to pay the price. I say let's bring these jobs back to America, put our people back to work and stop importing so much of our stuff from foreign countries. I am so afraid now for my sweet little boy to play with most of his toys because what if it is painted with lead paint, what if the toys that make him so happy are harming him? These past few weeks have really been an eye opener to me and I hope they have to you all too. I will be looking on the packages from now on to see where things were made before I spend anymore of my hard earned money on things Made In China. I also know that things can be made in America from parts that came from China and there is no way around that, but I will be more careful now.

6 comments:

Nan said...

I heard about all the recalls. Makes me wonder if anything is safe anymore.

K. said...

I could not agree with you more! Very well said. It hits home so much stronger when our children are the ones at risk.

Elmwood said...

this is VERY scarey...what the hell is going on?!?!?!?!?

Curtis said...

I agree, if they can't make them safe then let's do it over here where it should be done anyway. Seems this is becoming more and more common with unsafe toys. Isn't anyone monitoring any of the production of these toys?

Christine said...

I know, the toy recalls are insane.

BUT I try to focus on all the ways our kids ARE safer than we were. I mean, I rode across country behind the back seat of a station wagon with my baby sister (who was less than six months old) wrapped in a blanket and sleeping in a basket right next to me. No rear-facing infant safety seat, no seat belts, nothing!

The big problem with toy companies is the same problem with all companies: All they really care about is making $$$$$$$$$!

Kristi said...

These recalls scare me too. US companies need to be given tax breaks to keep production in the United States. Yes, it's more expensive, but think of the alternative.