Thursday, April 05, 2007

Mrs. Plumber

Just call me Mrs. Plumber. In my house I am the one responsible for the plumbing, not that my hubby doesn't help out, he is just a procrastinator and so for him to actually get around to doing something, it takes a while. You see our icicle lights are still on our house, yeah it is April people and I still have Christmas lights on my house! In his defense he has been working 2 jobs and when he isn't working, he is either playing with the kids or sleeping. That means all the house work is falling back on me. Anyway I am getting sidetracked, back to my story. Monday night I cooked tacos for supper and the grease from the drained ground beef got poured down the sink. Well you know what happened next? Yes the drain got clogged! I didn't say anything, hubby was playing with the kids, so I go the plunger and tried to unclog it, but it didn't work. Instead all the water and yucky stuff ran into the dishwasher. GROSS! So I had to dip the water out of the dishwasher, so it would not overflow. We had some stuff for slow drains, so I tried that. On Tuesday morning I felt like the clog was gone. I had ran some water and it seemed to be draining, so I turned on the dishwasher and left for work. In the middle of the day I wondered where would the water from the dishwasher go if the drain wasn't unclogged. I freaked out a little bit and as soon as I got off work I rushed home fully expecting a flooded kitchen. Much to my surprise, the dishwasher had just backed up into the sink and then drained back into the dishwasher. So for the second time I had to dip nasty water out of the dishwasher. I got most of it out and put more drain cleaner down the sink and waited. After a few hours everything seemed to be fine, well the dishwasher is the real test, so I started it again. Again water was backing up in the sink so I just turned the damn thing off and went to bed. Yesterday I went to the store and got some Drano Max, poured it down the drain waited 20 minutes, poured some boiling water down the drain and voila, it was unclogged. You see hubby's solution to the problem was to call the warranty company and request a plumber, which would cost us $50.00 and I would have to take time off work to sit at home and wait for the plumber. Glad I didn't listen to him. My solution cost us about $4.00 and no lost time from work! Now if I could just find the time to fix the toilet in the kid's bathroom!

1 comment:

Jodi said...

You go girl! You are a woman of the new century! You can take care of yourself, and your family!

J.