Friday, April 13, 2007

The stationwagon


When I was a small child we had a stationwagon. It was a powder blue '70 something Chevrolet Caprice Wagon. It was huge! There were 6 of us, including my parents, so it was just the right size to transport everyone. I loved that car. It wasn't much to look at, but as a child things look different to you. It had blue interior, plasticy seats that were SSSSOOOOO hot in the summer. I don't remember if it had an air conditioner or not because it seemed like we always had the windows down. I got my first arm sprain in that car. I was in the front seat sitting in the middle and I kept hanging my arm over the back of the seat, well my sister thought she would grab it and see how far it would go. Needless to say, it did not go very far. I think I was about 3!


My mom would put blankets in the back part, we always called that the wayback, because well it was way back from the front of the car. My sister D and I would always crawl over the back seat and play in the wayback. If we went on a long trip, we would crawl back there with our pillows and sleep. That was before the days of children riding in booster seats until they are 10, heck that was before children had to wear seatbelts. We would climb over the seats in that car like the monkeys that we were. There were storage areas in the sides of the wayback, underneath the windows, and we would put things like crayons in there for safe keeping. We all know what happens to crayons that are left in hot cars. I'll bet there are still crayons melted in the back of that car! I was driving down the road a couple of months ago and got behind one just like it, maybe it was it. I tried to get beside it and see if I could see melted crayons in the back, but I couldn't get close enough to it.

7 comments:

Mama Beck said...

JUST the other day I was talking about how cool I thought people were who had one of those station wagons with the ACTUAL SEATS in the "way back". I loved to sit back there and look out the back window.

Nan said...

OMG I had to laugh when I seen this. My family had this car too but ours was pale yellow!

Brittany said...

My family had a brown stationwagon. It was hideous, but I thought it was the coolest thing ever. My sister and I took ownership of the "wayback."

Jodi said...

Wow, I remember those. Ours was a "Country Squire" and it had wood panelled sides. We had those "jump seats" in the back, and we used to lay down in the back, too.

Great post.

J.

The Queen B said...

We had one too!

We called it the "Grey Ghost"....as I type that, I seems kinda lame but the memories were good!

Kristi said...

We had a Chevy Caprice stationwagon too, except ours was a maroon mid-eighties model. And my sister and I loved riding in the "wayback." I learned to drive in that stationwagon!

heels said...

Haha- we had a maroon one too!