Monday, April 30, 2007

Spring Cleaning on a deadline

I am so tired and sore that I can barely move. We are in the process of refinancing our house. The appraiser called me Friday morning to see if he could come to do the appraisal that day. Um that would be a negative, Hubby and I both were at work and the house was a total mess. The grass hasn't been cut yet this year because both of our lawnmowers are broken and the second lot looks abandoned, it was so overgrown with weeds. So I told him Mondya would be better, so I bought us 2 days to get it all done. I started Friday night with the inside and started working as much as I could. Thank goodness I had cleaned some major stuff inside the weekend before, so the inside wasn't nearly as bad as the outside. I am embarrassed that my yard looked that bad. I called around Friday to get someone to come and clean the yard for us, but of course everyone was booked, so that meant we were gonna have to get it done. I found a place that rented lawnmowers, so we got up EARLY Saturday morning and Hubby went to get us one and wouldn't you know it, the only one they had left wouldn't crank. Hubby called me and I started crying, I was so tired and just felt like there was no way we would get the yard cleaned and the house wasn't going to appraise well and we wouldn't be able to refinance and we would have to move! You know on top of everything else I was PMSing! He went to Wal-Mart and bought the cheapest lawnmower that they carry, brought it home, cut the front and side yards and then it was time for the NFL draft to come on, so I lost my help. I had told him that if he got up early with me and helped me then when the draft came on, he could go watch it. I cut a little of the back yard, but it was such a mess I could not get much done, then the babe wanted to come out with me and I did not want to cut grass with him outside. I put him in the swing and proceeded to trim hedges, cut down briars and rake up the pinestraw and pine cones. I HATE PINE TREES with a passion. I wish we had the money to have the 3 main ones in our yard and the one in our neighbors yard that puts pine cones in our yard chopped down. Anyway, I worked out there until it got too hot. Then I went in took a shower and got dressed and the babe and I went to run errands and go to the grocery store. I took him for ice cream, he loves ice cream! He has started feeding himself with a spoon now. It is so cute. He will get a bite in his mouth and shake his head yes and make a mmmmm sound. It just cracks me up! Anyway, 4 hours later I was back at home and hauling more pinestraw down to the street. I worked outside until dark.

Sunday was pretty much the same thing, work, work, work. Hubby got all of the yard cut, even the back part that was nearly has tall as me. Let me tell you the lawnmower that he bought is the cheapest one that we could find, but it runs like a dream. He cut all of those weeds in the back lot down with that lawnmower and it never even shut off. He also ran over bricks and landscaping timbers with it and it just kept going. It was like the little engine that could, it just kept going. I like it more than the expenisve one that we got last year, that won't even start this year. Anyway the appraiser was there this morning just as scheduled and everything went well, as far as I can tell. He said that he did not see anything that detracted value from the house and our house has a lot of extras, like a deck, patio, out building (shed). He also said that he had appraised 3 other houses in our neighborhood in the past month and that our house will be on the high end of the market value. WHOO HOO! We need for it to appraise at least for what it did 2 years ago, but hopefully more. I will let you know as soon as I know something. If you ever needed an excuse to do some spring cleaning, just have your house appraised. Hubby said that our house is cleaner than it has been since the babe was born. I think he is right, but normally I just don't take as much time, I would rather spend the time with my family, not cleaning.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

I feel your pain. The outside of our house is a wreck, with major weeding and raking, etc., to do, and we just have no time to do it. To make matters worse, both my husband and I hate to do outside work. Like you, I would much rather spend my limited free time with my family doing something a whole lot more fun than yardwork.

Congrats on the great appraisal!

Cricky said...

Yard work sucks!

But I actually enjoy it when there is time and no kids running around to look out for.

Since we moved Marci and Jarrod in, there is no chance of really spring cleaning except for the kitchen and my bedroom. I already emptied my office and Kelly's room when they moved in.

Cricky said...

I convince Al to do spring cleaning starting Tomorrow Night after work and going through until Sunday, we planned one thing at a day so that we don't freak ourselves out. Thanks for putting me in the mood.