Monday, March 05, 2007

Monday meanderings

If you are bored, go to CNN.com and read some of the top stories. What is this world coming to? A husband kills and dismembers his wife, a rat bites the nose off of a sleeping infant, a bus driver mistakes an off ramp and wrecks his bus killing 6 people, including himself and his wife. You can find it all there and then some other stuff too. All of that makes the things going on in my life seem trivial.

We survived last weeks tornadoes unscathed. Others not too far from here were not so lucky. In Americus the devastation is just awful, but at least only 2 people were killed, it could have been so much worse. I cannot even begin to fathom Enterprise, Alabama and what those people are going through, nor do I want to. Hubby called me Thursday before I left work and told me to go to his mom's and just stay there and he would be there as soon as he got off work. He knows one of the emergency management people at our local hospital and he had been in earlier and told them that this would be the worse storm that this area had seen in a long time. So I got off work and headed over to MILs to wait for the storm. There was no way that we could make it home before the first band of storms made its way to us, so that was why hubby said to stay at his mom's. We sat glued to the local channel that had continuing coverage of the weather and the doppler radar. I tried hard not to think the worst as I watched my child running around in a t-shirt and diaper playing. We tried to make things seem as normal as possible. We cooked and ate supper and continued to watch the TV to see when the next storm would be here. Thankfully we did not lose power. Many in our area were without power for 12 hours or more, including my sister and mom. My MIL lives near train tracks and so every time a train would come, we would wait for the whistle to blow so we could be reassured that it was not a tornado. At one point we did go to the hall and sit and listen and wait, but thank goodness, nothing ever happened. We stayed at my MILs until the rain was gone and then headed home. I was a little fearful driving at night after such bad storms, but the only thing that I hit was a dog, but he was already dead in the road. There were a few places that had trees down, but they had all been cleared from the road. When we got home, our house was still in one piece, our dogs were there and we had power, we had been spared, once again. The next day as the sun came up pictures began emerging of the devastation that those storms caused. It really makes me thankful that we only got the storms that we did, it could have been so much worse.

Okay, now on a lighter note, I was changing the babe's diaper yesterday and it was stinky. I looked up at him and he was holding his nose! I laughed so hard I nearly cried. I don't know where he got that from, but it was too cute. He has such personality, sometimes it makes me laugh, other times it makes me want to scream. He is such a good boy for the most part. He just does not always listen when you tell him "no" and he tests my patience sometimes, but I guess all children do.

3 comments:

The Queen B said...

Isn't great when they do funny things like that? It makes all the other times when they're being little rascals just disappear!!

Brittany said...

Hey sunShine!
Do you have an e-mail address so I can reply to your comments???? E-mail me and let me know! I always want to write back to you, but I don't have your e-mail!
weekdaywisdom@gmail.com

Kristi said...

Wow-how terrifying to live so close to the destruction of those tornados. I'm glad you stayed safe. And your little guy is too cute!