Friday, April 01, 2005

Driving Miss Daisy

I was waiting in the slow drive thru of a fast food restaurant today at lunch and a song was on the radio that brought back memories. It was a country song about learning to drive. Do you remember when you first learned to drive? I was 10 when I took my first driving lesson. Yes you heard me correctly, 10 years old. I grew up in the country, on a Georgia red dirt road to be exact. My sister had a mint green Camaro, I loved that car. She was way older than me, 11 years to be exact. One day she was at the house visiting and she asked me if I wanted to learn to drive. Well, yeah! What 10 year old doesn't dream of driving. So we got in the car, me seated on a few pillows so I could see over the hood. I cranked the car and put it in drive and away we went. We only drove a few miles but it seemed like a long time to me. I was so scared, everytime we met a car on the road I pulled over to the side to let them drive by me. I still had a lot to learn about driving, heck sometimes I think I still do. I bet I did not drive over about 30 miles an hour that day. I felt so grown up driving! Now it is almost a chore, a must to get from point A to point B. Isn't it funny how a song can spark a memory?

3 comments:

Webmiztris said...

I remember my mom putting me on her lap to show me how to drive when I was, like, 6. The good old 70s/80s - safety was NEVER an issue. ;)

Janet said...

So, what was the song?

An Epistemology said...

That is really cool your older sister did that. I am 11 years older than my youngest sister and hate to say I wasn't so cool. Any other older sister pointers?