Monday, April 25, 2005

I need your help...

I have a friend, let's call him C, who is graduating from not one but 2 colleges in a few weeks. He is super smart, worked very hard for it and managed to do double duty in college and graduate from both colleges. I received my invitation the other day and I know I can't go. He lives like 10 hours away from me and I just can't make that trip right now. I would love to go, I haven't seen him in a few years, but it's not gonna happen. Anyway, my dilema, what do I get him. Do I get him a gift and send it to him, do I send money? What do you get for someone who is nearly 30, you haven't seen in a few years, yet you have known since you were 12. HELP!

3 comments:

Elmwood said...

yes I would send a card with money BUT I would also write a personal little letter about how you are sorry you couldn't attend and how you are proud of him (if you are--lol)
I say it all the time..I think "personal touches" get lost via e-mail and thanks to Hallmark we never have to think of our own sentiments...
just my opinion ;)

The Narcissist said...

I think that the heartfelt congrats is definitely a good way to go, and I always think money is a great gift, but sending it tucked into a book with a little inscription for you, leaves him with a thoughtful momento from you, but also the means to get something that he's had his eyes on. :)

ellen said...

Well, I don't know how available this is to you where you live (we have a Mint with a huge gift store in our city), but would he like a coin set or commemorative coin, perhaps? I've given them as graduation and even retirement gifts. They are beautifully packaged, and have the year of the milestone event engraved upon them. And, with time, they increase in value.