Friday, January 05, 2007

Dropping the bomb

Christmas with my side of the family is always interesting. You never know what may happen or who may say something that will offend someone or piss someone off. I was quite surprised when my oldest neice walked in with my 2 middle sisters. I was surprised because my next to the oldest sister M was in jail for failure to pay her child support and I had not been informed that she was released. You see it really would not bother me if she was left to rot there. Yes I know I am heartless, whatever I have my history with her and it isn't a very good one, no love loss here. I try to remember her the way she was when we were growing up, but even then she was mean and controlling so I have a hard time having warm and fuzzy thoughts about her. Not to speak of the fact that she has lost custody of her 3 children and has failed to pay child support since July of 2005. She is a little behind and child support enforcement finally caught up with her in the beginning of December and put her in jail until she could pay some of the money that she owes. Well guess who bailed her out 2 days before Christmas? Her oldest daughter, my 19 year old neice. I am sure that everyone saw the shock on my face when she walked in the door. I really hate surprises. I don't do well faking excitement or pleasure if I am really not pleased. I did my best, what more could you ask for.

So Christmas eve rocked on and we opened gifts and ate and made small talk and oohed and aahed over my sweet baby boy. A family friend was there with her kids, her youngest is a month older than my son. They were playing together in the floor when the other little boy leans in to kiss my son on the cheek and my son starts just bawling. I asked him what was wrong and picked him up and the mom says Maybe her kid bit him. UM HELLO WHY DID YOU NOT WARN ME THAT YOUR CHILD MIGHT BITE MY PRESCIOUS ANGEL BOY? I was pissed. My son was crying like it was the end of the world and I know it hurt. He left teeth marks, which turned into bruises on his cheek. The mom didn't even do anything to her son nor did she apologize to us for her kid biting mine. Then I had to tell my mom and oldest sister what happened because my baby would not stop crying. Everytime he looked at that kid he busted out crying. I am sure that it hurt his feelings as well as his face. Everyone was shocked at the way the other mom handled that situation. I still can't believe that she did not warn us or apologize. Oh well, we won't be playing with him anymore.

So after all of that drama, we were just sitting around in the kitchen talking about our plans for Christmas, yadda, yadda, yadda. My 19 year old neice was sitting next to her good for nothing mother and said that she had something to tell us, that my sister was just dying for her to tell us. I was expecting that she was going to tell us that her good-for-nothing boyfriend gave her an engagement ring and she was getting ready to ruin her life by marrying him. No that was not what came out of her mouth. She told us that she is pregnant! OH MY WORD! CAN YOU FREAKIN' BELIEVE THAT? Yeah me either. She is just a baby herself and she is going to have a baby.

I sat there in shock and no one said a word. I looked at my mom and she looked at me and we just stared at each other. Then finally my mom started the lecture about how her b/f is a sorry ass and how hard it is to raise a baby by yourself and how she wanted a better life for her and she deserves so much more. I just busted out crying. It truly broke my heart. I remember the day she was born. I was very close to her and I just want her to find her Prince Charming and have him carry her off into the sunset to a wonderful life with a nice house and a white picket fence where she can sit on the porch and watch her children grow up. Instead she will be stuck raising a baby by herself with help from whoever will help her with the baby. Another fatherless child brought into this world. I am truly sad for her and her unborn child. She doesn't have a clue! She does have a job, so she will be able to provide financially for the baby, which is a good thing.

Also I really hope that she does not have a boy because I have the only boy in my family and I would really like to keep it that way! Selfish isn't it, well that is me. I am trying to be supportive, really I am. She came by my office earlier today and she was telling me all about the sonogram and her doctors visit and I just wanted to vomit. I know that isn't the reaction that she needs, so I hugged her and pretended to be excited. I also told her to get some maternity pants because she can no longer squish her tummy into those too small jeans that she is wearing. I told her to get the What to Expect book, you know the bible of pregnancy. I am trying to get my maternity clothes back for her to use, but since I let that girl borrow them and her baby was born in August, she still hasn't returned them. I did ask for them back, but as of yet, I still haven't received them. That is what I get for trying to help someone.

How is that for a Merry Christmas? I wish people would realize that I don't like gifts like that for Christmas.

3 comments:

K. said...

Wow. That is some holiday. I just want to say that that kid bit my son I would have been livid too. Some people have no couth.

Anonymous said...

Now you know I can identify with all that family dramarama...That's so hard. My sister's the same age as your neice. I can't imagine her telling me that she is pregnant...well I take that back, but still.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the shocking news. It's good that she has someone like you in her life to help balance out some of the craziness.

Thanks for the sweet comments on my rant post. I feel better now. (grin)
J.