Wednesday, November 24, 2004

I was robbed...

I got home from work last night and discovered that my jewelry box had been emptied. Yes someone came into my home and stole my most precious trinkets, my acccessories. Nothing else was out of place, nothing broken, nothing else missing. We don't know where they came in or how. It had to be someone with a key because there no window was broken no door pried open.

We are renting our house and our landlords are out of town for the holiday. I don't know who all has keys or when the locks were last changed. I just feel sick. I cried and cried and I stopped long enough to call the police, my best friend, and my mom. Then I cried some more. I cried until my body ached and I felt like I would throw up. My jewelry is precious to me, but it isn't worth much on the streets. Most of it will probably wind up in the trash when they find out that it is fake.

All of my jewelry is gone. My class ring. My ex-husbands class ring. The last ring that my dad gave my mom before he died. My charm bracelets and all my precious charms. My turquoise earrings that my sister-in-law gave me for my birthday. My silver bead necklace, bracelet, and earrings. My lady bug bracelet. My turtle ring with movable legs and head. My turtle anklet. My tweety bird watch. My angel earrings. So much other stuff that I can't even remember. Everything except the $10.00 Wal-Mart watch that I was wearing, my favorite silver earrings that I was wearing, and my wedding rings.

I just feel so violated. The cops came and took a report. They said that someone would call me in the next 24 hours and follow up with me. In the meantime I may want to check the pawn shops for my jewelry and if I find any of it to let them know. I was expecting the CSI squad to come rolling into my driveway, jumping out of their cars, putting up the yellow crime scene tape. There were no sirens. They did not even fingerprint or question the neighbors. They did not secure the scene. They did not take any pictures of the crimescene or look for trace evidence. There was no helicopter scouring the neighborhood looking for the perpetrator. Just 2 roly poly policeman asking a few questions. Of course they wanted to know the monetary value of the jewelry. Well I don't know most of it was irreplaceable. How do you put a price on sentimental stuff?

Silver turtle ring with moveable parts....................................$20.00
Class ring......................................................................................$150.00
Angel earrings..............................................................................$75.00
The last ring that your dad gave your mom............................Priceless

2 comments:

Elmwood said...

sunshine-
SO SORRY! however I do commend you for the humor in such an emotional story..I know how you feel our hotel room in Mexico was robbed (we later found out by the hotel security--nice!) and we felt completely violated and worse than no helicopters or sirens is being told "get on the plane or you will be stranded in Mexico-we aren't doing anything about it" and us stupid girls traveled with jewlery--irreplaceable, sentiments..
I can't imagine how it feels to have your actual HOUSE robbed.... :( People wonder how the world has gotten so untrusting and synical..here's a perfect example...
*hugs*

sunShine said...

Thank you all for your hugs and sympathy.