Monday, May 09, 2005

Help wanted

My office assistant informed me last week that she was leaving. She is moving back to her home town to help her parents. They are in their late 70s or early 80s and need someone to check in on them and help them with tasks such as grocery shopping and cooking, you know those pesky things that we must all do. So the last full week of this month will be her last week. She gave me a nice big notice and for that I am grateful. Now comes the really hard part, finding a replacement. The ad for the job was in the paper yesterday and it is posted on Career Builder on the web, so I have been skimming through resumes all day today. You would not believe how many people do not proofread their resume. I am sorry but I am not going to hire someone who can't use the spell check or make complete sentences. Just because you put a period at the end of a phrase does not make it a sentence. I was going to post some examples on here, but knowing my luck they would find this post and sue me or something. Just know that it is bad, very bad. It is so bad that my head is hurting. It hurts like I want to rest my head on my desk and start over.

I hate trying to hire a new person, especially now. I need someone really fast because my boss will be on vacation next month and I will be on vacation in July. Oh yeah and the whole maternity leave thing,, yeah this whole hiring a newby is stressing me out. Not only do I have to interview and find just the right person, I have to hire them and then train them. I think I have weeded out a few decent resumes to call for interviews. Something else I hate, interviewing... Yeah it sucks, big time. As much as a person hates to be interviewed, I hate to interview them. I am probably more nervous than they are about the interview. My interview lasts about 15 minutes, because really I don't care about most of the shit that they ask in interviews. I just want to know if they mind coming to work and putting in 8 hours and then going home. You can't ask some of the more important questions because they are considered discrimination or some crap. Wish me luck in finding a new office assistant, I certainly need it!

I hope everyone had a great mother's day, even if you aren't a mother. I know I did. I went to my mom's for lunch. She cooked homemade Lasagna. One word---YUMMY! I got to see 2 of my sisters and 5 of my 6 nieces, oh yeah and my Granny, let's not leave her out.. My mom has a new little kitten and it is so adorable. I had a good visit with my family. My hubby went to church with his mom and then to lunch with her.

I met up with them in the afternoon and we went to see "Monster-in-law". What a great way to spend mother's day. The movie was good. My hubby was bored with it, but his mom and I enjoyed it and isn't that really what counts. After the movie, we went to see his Grandmother. Then we went home, finally! All in all it was a great ending to a good weekend!

3 comments:

Webmiztris said...

I've seen some unbelievably shitty resumes in my time too. It's like these people don't even TRY. Doesn't it occur to them that if they're applying for a secretarial position, it might be helpful if they could TYPE A COVER LETTER? wow. at least it's good for laughs. ;)

C. said...

I feel ya Sunshine...I lost my assistant 3 months ago and it took THAT long to get another one! I think we might of found a good match though...I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck :)

Cylithria Dubois said...

Wow, sounds like a dready process , getting a new assitant!! I've been a lurking fan of yours for a time (You're on my blogroll) but I saw your Monster In Law comment at the end of this post and loved it so I had to tell you that! Good luck with the assistant hunt!!! Thanks for the giggle