Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Christmas Spirit

I just can't get into the Christmas spirit this year. Normally I am all in the spirit and so excited about Christmas, but this year I am not. I really don't know why. In the years past I have counted down the days with excitement and joy, but this year I am counting them down with anxiety and dread. I am angry at myself for not being in the holiday mood because I know as soon as it is over I will feel like I missed it. In essence I am missing it. What is it that puts us in the holiday spirit? I normally sing Christmas songs from the day after Thanksgiving until Christmas night, but this year the holiday songs are getting on my nerves and I can't bear to listen to the holiday music channel. I have done all my shopping and wrapped all the gifts. I have walked through Bethlehem at the local church and heard the story of the true meaning of Christmas. I have shopped for the foods that I will prepare for Christmas eve and Christmas day. I have made some wonderful confections that I give to people like my hairdresser, mailman, etc. What is missing? Why can I just not find that Christmas spirit?

4 comments:

C. said...

I'm having the same problem...Christmas spirit is quasi-there but not really. I guess 2004 was a tough year and I'm more excited about starting a new one than Christmas.

Only 4 more days...hopefully we'll catch the spirit by then.

Anonymous said...

hee hee!! I don't get the Christmas spirit bug either.

Welcome to my world.

webmiztris.diaryland.com

Anonymous said...

I know it's tough for me sometimes because it's just so commercial. Stores are putting out Christmas stuff before Halloween so it's hard to stay in the holiday mood for 2 months straight. hope you're feeling better btw!

Elmwood said...

sunshine-
I totally feel you I didn't even put up 1/2 my decoartions this year and usually feel guilty not getting enough for people this year it is what it is..
It's ok that EVERY year is not spectacular..Just enjoy time with family and friends....Who says we HAVE TO make a big deal out of x-mas??? BA HUMBUG! ;)~