Friday, February 25, 2005

All good things must come to an end.

So next month is the Cherry Blossom Festival in our great town. Now granted I don't get into too many of the festival activities, there are a few things that have become family traditions with my sisters and neices. We spend an entire Saturday together going to the arts and crafts fairs and such but to start the day off we go and watch the hot air balloons take off. It is so beautiful to watch. We get there early in the morning like 6:30 and take blankets to sit on and cover up with and we pick up doughnuts and coffee and hot chocolate for the kids. We all snuggle up and eat our doughnuts and drink our warm beverages and relax and watch the balloons as they blow up and prepare to take off. It is something that brings our family closer together. Well this year they have changed the whole friggin' thing. It is now the Air Show and there is a $5.00 charge per person. Yeah they are going to have airplanes and crap there, but you know what if I wanted to see airplanes I would go to the air museum. We have been going to this event for at least 7 years and it has always been free. So then I talked to one of my sisters and she has to work, so I guess we just won't go this year. It is sad when traditions have to end, but like they say all good things must come to an end.

1 comment:

Janet said...

When I was growing up, the big neighborhood thing were block parties. All the families got together in a cul-de-sac. There was even a talent show! But as I got older, the families drifted apart and before long there were new families and thus, no more block parties.

Well we never got to the point of "selling out" I can still sympathize with your desire for the way it was.