Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Learning to love it

I am so excited I have an appointment tonight to get my haircut. I LOVE getting my haircut. Since a child, a haircut has always made me happy. You walk out of the salon looking like a million dollars. A good haircut and style can lift my spirits and make me feel great. But I have one gigantic problem, I HATE MY HAIR.

We have always had a rocky relationship, my hair and I. I have tried so hard just about everyday since I was around 9 or 10 years old to get my hair to do what I wanted it to do. My hair has responded to those requests be repeatedly doing what it wants to do. So as soon as I was really old enough to make up my mind I got a major haircut. I thought I'll show you hair, I will get rid of you if you don't do what I want you to do. I loved my short hair, I kept it short for like 6 or 7 years. Even when it was short it didn't do what I wanted it to do, but it didn't take as long to try, so I kept it that way. Then I decided I wanted to grow it out. I really don't even remember why now, but I grew it out. I quickly remembered why I had gotten it cut to begin with and eventually I gave up my shoulder length locks again and opted for a cute short cut.

You see one of the problems with my hair has always been that it is unruly. By unruly I mean stringy. It has just enough body to not be straight, but not enough to be curly. What do you do with hair like that??? Well in my opinion, you cut it all off. Since having my sweet little angel, my hair has changed. The first thing it has done is fall out. The women in my family have thin hair and I guess I am no exception, it just took having a baby to thin it out. I also inherited premature grey hair. Yeah it is so pretty all streaked among my medium brown hair like a fly in the ice cream. It also has gotten more unruly. It has become more curly, which is fine with me. I have been trying to grow it out since I had my little one. Now don't get me wrong I don't want a flowing mane trailing along behind me as I run behind my baby, but I would like something different.

The last few days I have been letting it air dry and it has been really cute, or so everyone tells me. Anyway when I go tonight I am just getting a trim to shape it up a bit and get the long bangs out of my eyes. I have always wanted a hairstyle that I did not have to do anything to and I think my hair has finally listened to me. I think I am learning to love it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blah! That's how I define my hair. The only way I can wear it is long with layers. It's straight and stringy and has NO body whatsoever. And goodness is it think but also fine so anytype of curl falls out. I cut it to my shoulders and it clings to my head. I SO want something different but my hair refuses.

Have fun at the salon...enjoy the free head massage!!

ellen said...

I have had crap hair my whole life: baby-fine, stringy hair that HAS to be coaxed into curl with hot rollers every day. The only thing I had going for me was a nice natural blonde colour, and now the chemo drug is taking that away from me, stripping my hair of all colour so that it is growing in WHITE. I had my roots dyed "to match my natural colour," and they came out all orangey - I guess the drugs won't allow my hair to properly accept colour.

I'd shave my head if I didn't have such a big square lumpy noggin.

eatmisery said...

Post a picture of your hair.