Monday, August 14, 2006

Sleep, sleep, where art thou?

Yes, I know I have posted about it so many times, I have lost count. I miss my sleep so much that I have had a headache for 2 weeks. My little boy is not a good sleeper. When he wakes up he wants someone to hold him and comfort him and rock him until he goes back to sleep. That is our routine every night. He goes to sleep around 8:30 or 9 and he usually awakens anytime from 1:30 until around 3 or 3:30. Then after he is fast asleep and so am I he wakes up again at around 5 or 5:30. Last night he went to sleep at 9, woke up at 1:30, 3:30, 5:30 and he did not go back to sleep until our drive to my MIL's. You see this is really wearing me out. I only get about maybe 3 continuous hours of sleep, because I have to get up for work at around 6.

He does this even on the weekends, he is awake every morning at least by 7, which would not be so bad if he had not been awake so much during the night. I have tried numerous things to get him to sleep longer and a few months ago he actually did. I am sure that I posted about it, I wanted to shout it from the roof tops. Yes just a few short months ago he would sleep for around 7 or 8 hours at a time, wake up, nurse and fall fast asleep for another few hours. Now, not a chance in hell. Although I must admit that this sleep pattern is better than a few weeks ago when he refused to be put down in his crib to sleep. Yeah that was fun! Co-sleeping is not for me. So we got over that hurdle, he now sleeps with his door open and a light on in the bathroom across the hall. I thought maybe he was afraid of the dark. I am afraid of the dark, he could be too. Well that was fine for a night or 2 and now we are back where we started. I thought maybe it was the teething, but he now has 4 teeth and I don't think we are due anymore teeth for a month or so.

SO I ASK YOU SWEET LITTLE BABY BOY OF MINE, WHAT IN THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM? ARE YOU TRYING TO DRIVE ME INSANE? It is so frustrating, if something is wrong he can't tell me what it is. So what do you do? I have tried Mylicon for gas, Teething tablets for teething pain, Tylenol for what-ever else it could be. Nothing has worked. Am I going to have to just let him cry it out? I think that will truly drive me the remainder of the distance to insane. I can not stand to hear him cry! Have I failed miserably in teaching him how to self soothe and get himself back to sleep? Do I suck as a parent?

We go to the doctor on Friday for his 9 month well-baby check-up, so I will see what he says. Maybe something is really wrong with him, but he does not have a fever or anything so how do you know? Anyway, if anyone finds my missing sleep please send it to me, I need it desperately.

**Also if you will, please pray for my hubby's grandfather, he is in his late 80s and has to have his gall bladder removed today. Please pray that everything goes smoothly. I will update as soon as I know something.

***UPDATE: As of last night Grandpa was doing well. They were able to remove the gallbladder laparoscopically (SP?) and he was off the respirator last night. Hopefully he will recover quickly from this. Thank you for all your prayers and thoughts.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Oh wow. I feel for you, and I'm not even a parent yet. I just finished reading "The Happiest Baby on the Block." Have you read it? It gives some really great techniques for calming a crying baby and helping to get them to sleep longer. In the meantime, I can imagine that caffeine is your dearest friend. I hope your little guy learns to sleep soon!

The Queen B said...

I am very close to my 89 year old Grandmother so I can appreciate your husbands concern. He will be in my prayers and we'll ask God for quick healing and for wisdom for the surgeons.

Each child is different and each parents comfort level is different. You need to do what you feel is right for your little ones sleeping patterns. If crying it out for a bit makes you feel okay, then go with it. If you would prefer attachment parenting, then go with that. Finding what works best for you and baby is the key. For Camille and I, I do give her a moment to fuss and try to let her go back to sleep before I intervene. It works for us!

eatmisery said...

It could be teething. My boy got eight teeth all at once. It was hell, but when it was finally over, we all slept well. Good luck!