Wednesday, August 30, 2006

It is that time again

Yes it is that time again. Hubby and I have been talking about visiting churches. We really need to be back in church. I enjoyed when we went to church. We stopped going because the Rector that we loved so much left and the one that they replaced him with is taking the church in a direction that we just were not sure was for us, also we moved to a different town about 30 minutes away. We really need to find a church closer to home. When we went to the church we were active in a few things, like the weekend lunch program. It was my favorite volunteer activity. I was a co-captain of a team with a wonderful guy named Dave. We prepared lunch on a Saturday and Sunday for whoeve wanted to come and eat. Usually it was homeless people, sometimes it was people down on their luck or people just passing through town. Anyway I got pregnant around the same time that Dave accepted a job out of state and so we gave up our lunch team and that was last year and I have not been involved in anything other than my family since then. We did visit a few churches while I was pregnant, and we went to one that we really liked, well what we saw of it we liked. I sort of had a little episode and left before the sermon was even preached. Anyway, I have decided to dig up that story for you. It is really very funny now, it wasn't at the time. Here it goes, from May 31, 2005 post:

Everyday with me is like a new adventure. You just never know what to expect. Hubby and I have discussed finding a church to start attending since we moved a year and a half ago. We visited one and hated it, and have not attempted to visit another one until last Sunday. We ironed our clothes on Saturday night and had everything ready for Sunday morning. We got up and got dressed and I must admit, we do clean up nicely! We got there and things were going fine, the church seemed nice enough. We sung a few songs, listened to a few announcements. Things were going great, and then the pastor got up and announced that it was a baptism service. Awe how wonderful, someone is going to be baptized. The family goes up there and it isn't just someone, it is a baby and a child of maybe about 3 or 4. So the pastor goes on to ask the questions that they ask and I am tearing up. Yeah hormones going full blast, not a good thing! So after the pastor is done he brings the children down the aisle of the church to show them to the congregation. Well seeing that sweet baby was just more than I could handle. All these things are going through my mind, pregnancy does that to you. It also hit me at that very minute that I am really having a baby. Anywho the pastor gets about 2 rows from us with the baby and I feel it, the real tears are coming. You know you can only silently cry for a little bit before it turns into sobbing. Well it turned into sobbing, one big horrendous noise escaped my body before I could shove my hubby out of the pew and out the door. It was so quiet in the church that you could have heard a pin drop, but instead they heard me sobbing as I ran for the door. We got outside and I think my hubby was in shock, I was still sobbing, I could not catch my breath, I thought I was gonna throw up. Then he starts laughing at me. I eventually calm down and blow my nose and regain my composure, and I started laughing too. We did not go back into the church, we left and got some lunch instead. I think we may try to go back next week, but only if there isn't a baptism on the bulletin. You see I told you never a dull moment with me.

Anyway that was why we didn't go back while I was pregnant. Then after the baby came we were reluctant to put him in the nursery with people that we didn't know, so we didn't go back. Well he is almost 10 months old now and it is time to try again. I have called the church and left a message for the lady over the nursery to call me back. You know what a worry wart I can be and I have a few questions about the nursery procedure, so as soon as my questions are answered we can begin planning for our return to church. I am excited, maybe it will be this Sunday!

2 comments:

The Queen B said...

I still haven't put Camille in the church nursery. I think it's a great program I'm just more concerned about her getting sick. Plus I have never been apart from her, at least not leaving her with strangers, so I'm not ready!!

We LOVE our church though, aside from the issues recently. Our pastor is phenomenal and we fine we grow spiritually there. We found our church through the Willow creek website...it's the 2nd "Willow Creek" church I've attended and have been impressed.

Good Luck

Brittany said...

Good luck with your 2nd visit!