Thursday, September 14, 2006

Fever-ish


It has been a miserable week. My sweet angel boy has had a fever since Monday, no other symptoms, just a fever. It has been hovering around 100-101.5. I actually took him to the doctor on Tuesday and they did some blood work and it is not a bacterial infection or earache, so no antibiotics, just Tylenol and plenty of fluids and it will pass. Personally I think it is the teething, but you know the doctors tell you that teething does not cause a fever. That is all fine and dandy, but when will it pass? I don't think I can take another night of him sleeping with hubby and I. He will not sleep in his bed, as soon as I lay him down he pops back up and starts screaming and crying. I CAN NOT TAKE THE SCREAMING AND CRYING! He screamed and cried for nearly 2 1/2 hours Tuesday night before I finally just put him in our bed. A few minutes later he was asleep. Although he kept waking about every hour and crying out, he would usually go right back to sleep. It made for a really good nights sleep for me and the hubby. He slept with us last night too. I woke up at one point in the night clinging to the edge of the bed. If I would have rolled over I would have fallen into the floor. I know having a fever is miserable, but I need some sleep. When he is awake he just wants to be held or if he does get down, you need to be close to him so that in 2 minutes you can pick him back up. It makes getting ready for work a real fun time.

Then there is the Mommy guilt, you know that I am leaving him when he is sick to come to work. There is nothing I can do for him that my mother-in-law can't do, except for breastfeed him and I will be there at lunch to do that. I think coming to work is saving my sanity this week. I don't know if I could endure a whole day of the whining. Is that bad? Does it make me a bad parent? Part of me wants to be right there holding him and snuggling him, but he does not really want to be snuggled and he does not want to sleep, he wants to whine and pull my hair and try to take my glasses off my face. He wants all of the things that he cannot have when he does get down and as soon as you tell him no he just starts crying because he does not feel good. It is a vicious cycle. I hope he is feeling better soon so we can all get a good night's sleep.

4 comments:

eatmisery said...

Gosh, I hope your little guy feels better soon. Being sick stinks!

Kristi said...

Oh the mommy guilt. I've only been a mother for three weeks, and already I have this in droves. Working on a post about it, in fact.

I don't think you're a bad mom at all for wanting to escape to work while he's sick. In fact, you're probably a better mom for getting away for a few hours so that when you return, you're more able to deal with his crying and fussing, rather than if you had been immersed in it all day.

I hope he feels better soon!

Elmwood said...

I hope you get some sleep and he feels better soon and I almost want a wallet of this picture to run around and show everyone how cute he is!!!!
(i swear I am not psycho--although that may have just made me sound as such..lol)

The Queen B said...

We all need to escape when they have their days. As a SAHM I get to escape when D is home from work. Typically, when it's bad, I'll count down the hours!! Thank goodness they are few and far between though!!