Friday, September 29, 2006

Viruses, blisters, and medicines. Oh my!

Well we survived the doctors office with only minor hearing loss for me from all the screaming. No not screaming from my child, screaming from a 4 year old that was in the room next to us. He was awful! My son was wonderful as usual, he sat patiently while the nurse pricked his finger and squeezed enough blood out to test for bacteria. Good news, not a bacterial infection. Bad news, it is a coxsackie virus. I feel kind of dirty saying that word, it sounds like it would be something to do with his boy parts, but in fact it isn't. You can read all about it here: http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/coxsackie.html
He has the one that causes blisters in the mouth. Poor baby, no wonder he does not want to eat or drink anything. He has blisters in his mouth and the back of his throat and that is what is causing the bleeding gums. I knew it had to be something more than teething because we have 7 teeth so far and none of them have bled. Anyway the doctor said to mix 1 teaspoon of children's benadryl with 1 teaspoon of Maalox and give that to him every 4 hours for the mouth and throat pain. He also said to continue to give him Tylenol and Motrin for his fever. He said that by Monday he should be feeling better. After our visit to the doctor and the store to get the medicines for him to take, we went to Wendy's for a vanilla Frosty. He ate about half of it and he was almost asleep when I left him with my MIL. I hope he is feeling better tomorrow, I really hate for him to be sick. I have been so upset the past few days because of this illness. It hurts my heart to think that my child is in pain. So that's the story, we will spend the weekend drugged up and hopefully he will be feeling better long before Monday!

8 comments:

Cricky said...

That poor baby! That sounds dreadful. I hope your weekend isn't awful, maybe you guys can get some relaxation in sometime.

eatmisery said...

Hell is a place where parents go when their children are sick. I hope he gets better fast.

Anonymous said...

We haven't hit that "fun" milestone yet (knock on wood)....hoping he feeling better soon.

Jodi said...

Sorry to read that you and the baby have been sick. Glad you're both on the upswing!
J.

Anonymous said...

No one likes to see their kid in pain and not feeling well. I've heard of children having that but never knew what it was, but now I do. Hope he gets to feeling better soon. VANILLA frostys...never heard of them, always had chocolate. Now I'm going to have to go to Wendy's today and see about this.

Jodi said...

Are you feeling better yet?
J.

Anonymous said...

At least you know what the problem was...My daughter had hand, foot, and mouth virus a couple months ago. It was Hell at first, but after a couple days she was back to her normal self. I'm sure your's will be back to feeling well in no time.

Anonymous said...

:-) I didn't even know you changed things around! I hope he is well by now. belive me I know how that sick kid thing is. I am supposed to take Gwen for a flu shot. I mentioned this to her and she looked at me in horror. What kind of mother makes her kid get an EXTRA shot each year. In all her four year old wisdom she said. "Mommy, I think that would make me cry." Uh huh.