Thursday, September 14, 2006

Swallowing my pride, hhhmmmm doesn't taste so bad after all!

I am such an idiot (amazing isn't it?). I normally have a "cushion" in my checkbook, my overdraft protection if you will. You see when I spend money out of my checking account I round it up to the next dollar when I write it down. (If the purchase is $8.69, I write down $9.00.) After a couple of months, there is a cushion there. Anyway I have gotten my cushion up to like more than $200.00. YAY for me.

Anyway I took $100.00 of that money last week and got started on Christmas and birthday shopping for my kids. This week a few other things have come up and I have been falsely thinking that I had plenty of money. I had to take the babe to the doctor Tuesday, which was more money. Then I had to go and pick up his pictures (one of them was in my last post), which was more money that I had not budgeted for. Anywho when I balanced my checkbook yesterday I realized that my account was a little short. So I sat here trying to think of how I could get some money in my account before anything bounced. I write that like I was calm, I in fact was not calm. I was trying not to freak out and call my hubby because then I would never hear the end of it from him. I called a co-worker and asked about something that happened at lunch and with out going into all the details here, told her that I had left my last 2 dollars as the tip. She asked me if I needed money and at first I said no, but then I swallowed my pride and told her that if I could just borrow a little money until Friday that would really help me. So she wrote me a check and I got someone to go to the bank for me and deposit it. SHE SAVED MY ASS!

I went online a few minutes ago to make sure that I had enough money to cover everything and lo and behold they have not credited that check in my account yet. SO I FREAKED OUT! My house payment has not cleared the bank yet, but the check has been posted at the mortgage company 2 days ago. Of course without the "loan" from my co-worker there is not enough money in my account to cover the mortgage payment. Now I am not short by much, just $5.00. Anyway tomorrow is payday and my boss is a wonderful person, so I called him up crying and asked him if there was anyway that I could get my check today before the bank closes because I have SCREWED UP! He asks me how much I need and I told him that I wasn't off by much, but if I did not get something in there my mortgage payment would bounce. DO YOU KNOW HOW EMBARRASSING IT IS TO ASK YOUR BOSS FOR YOUR PAYCHECK EARLY? Okay if you don't, just let me tell you, it is not fun. I am a very proud person and swallowing that pride to ask anyone for any help is so very hard for me, but I did that rather than tell the hubby that I screwed up my checkbook again. Yeah this is not the first time, but it is the first time in a long time that I have made a money mistake. I would also rather swallow my pride and ask for help than to pay the bank a freakin' $30.00 service charge for the NSF.

It is all taken care of now, my wonderful boss even took the check to the bank for me and deposited it. I tell you I love that man. I have the best boss and one of the best co-workers ever!

2 comments:

The Queen B said...

If there is one thing I knew well right now, is swallowing my pride. With D not working and severance pay ending, I've had to accept help from my family, something I've never had to do before. But, I am grateful that they have the extra right now to help us out.

I'm so glad everything worked out...things like that can be scary!

K. said...

It does sound like you have a wonderful boss. I can understand so well how hard it was for you to ask for help. I have a hard time reaching out to people too.