Wednesday, December 20, 2006

All grown up

I had to go to court for my work today and so I am dressed very professionally with a blazer and a long straight black skirt and my tall black boots. I rarely if ever look in the mirror after I get dressed in the mornings, but I know what I look like in this outfit. On my way into the courthouse this afternoon I caught a glimpse of myself in the glass doors and I had to look twice at who that professional woman was in my reflection.

I guess in my mind I still do not see myself as a grown up professional person. Most days at work I just wear slacks and a shirt or skirt of some sort, but nothing too businessey like a jacket. Anyway I think it is a greal look for me, maybe I need to add some jackets to my wardrobe and pray that the weather here cools off so I could wear them. I jokingly told them when I got to the office this morning that I had on my big girl clothes today.

When exactly did I grow up? Was it when I got married the first time, or bought my first car, or maybe when I got my first full time job? I can't pinpoint it, most days I still don't feel like a grown-up, I just feel like a kid trapped in this 30 year old's body and life. Does our mind ever feel the age that our body is? Do our parents and grandparents still feel like young people in their mind? When they look in the mirror do they see their true reflection staring back or do they see the young, beautiful person that they once were? I know when I look in the mirror I don't see the same reflection that everyone else sees everyday. I still see myself as a 23 year old with less wrinkles and lines and less gray hair.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are saying that 60 is the new 40 so I can only imagine what 30 is now!!

Anonymous said...

i see myself 100lbs lighter and 100 times less stress....but then i wake up and look at the horrible truth...

my mom looks better now than she did at 23, I pray that I too can get that grasp on youth that she found.

my father still looks 30 it is quite an issue with us as we can't go to dinner alone without people assuming he is my husband. HE'S MY DAD THAT'S GROSS is my usual response.

see i will always be a kid.

K. said...

I see the real me when I look in the mirror, but I know exactly what you mean about not feeling like a grownup yet. I went through that really bad right before my first son was born. Perhaps you never really feel grown? You just do the things that grownups do and think to yourself how old everyone else around you seems. ;)

eatmisery said...

I still feel 23, too! I wish I knew then what I know now.

Anonymous said...

I thought that it would all feel normal when you hit thirty, this grownup malarky. I still can't believe I've even got a job that they pay me for. Here's to staying youthful forever!