Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I'm gonna wash that gray right out of my hair

Do you remember that slogan from a few years back for some haircolor? Anyway when I was off Monday I colored my hair. I did it myself and of course I hate it. That is one of those things that you need a girlfriend or a sister to come over and help you with. But since I have neither close by, I had to do it all alone. It was scary, I have not put any color on my hair in about 4 or 5 years and you can tell it. My hair has gotten so gray that there was almost as much gray hair as there was brown. I just tried to pretend that I didn't notice when I looked in the mirror, but it was there staring out at me.

I ran into one of my Mom's cousins Saturday and she made the comment that I had more gray hair than my Mom. Well that is because Mom dyes her hair and has for years. Premature gray hair runs in my family and unfortunately that is one of the things that I inherited. Why couldn't it have been money or a talent of some sort, why the gray hair? Anyway that comment really bothered me. I have kicked the idea of coloring my hair around for a couple of months now, but always dismissed it for one reason or another. Well I simply cannot have more gray hair than my Mom who is 28 years older than me. While I was at the grocery store Monday I picked up a bottle of light brown haircolor. You see I have learned in all of my years of previous bad hair dying experiences that you never actually buy the color you want, if you do your hair will be way too dark. I made sure that no where on the box did it say anything about red hair. Something else that I have learned in all of my previous experience is that if there is any variation of the word golden in the color it will turn my hair red, as much as I like red hair I am not ready to be one again. So I finally got up the courage to do it before my hubby got home Monday. I was so scared, I was shaking. I put the gloves on and got down to business, I walked around the house with that goop all over my hair and then the time was up. I went and rinsed it out and guess what color it is? DARK BROWN with red highlights! EXACTLY WHAT I DID NOT WANT! That was why I picked out a nice shade of LIGHT BROWN! My natural haircolor is medium brown (with LOTS of gray). Anyway hubby got home and did not even notice, so I did not say anything, since I really hate it. I think I liked the gray better. He noticed it last night, finally! He said it looked alright that maybe it would lighten up some the more I washed it. I sure hope so. No one at work has noticed it or if they have they have not said anything about it. Maybe they are pretending not to notice because it looks hideous. When will I learn to just leave things alone and let the professionals take care of it, after all isn't that why they went to school?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It will definitely fade, especially if you wash it often, but I have advice for you from a girl who had a salon in her basement for five years growing up.

NEVER use grocery store color for your hair.

It's not just propaganda the salon industry sells you, it's an ingredient thing.

I don't know what you live near, but there are three training schools near me. A cheaper way to get your hair done, with the added bonus of quality control and proper hair dye.

Or you can just get buddied up with a stylist, have her put her as a name under her license and buy proper hair color from the beauty supply store, which I do.

But please - love your hair. Don't use Feria or Clairol or any of that crap. Think of it as dog pooh for your head.

Oh yeah, I'm sure you look gorgeous. Sometimes people don't say anything because they are in awe of the beauty and don't want to give you a big head. Or maybe they just didn't want to draw attention to the fact that they noticed the grey to begin with. No worries.

eatmisery said...

I haven't colored my hair in so long...several years. I'm getting gray and I kind of dig it.

Anonymous said...

I haven't colored my hair since college but even then, when I wanted it to be drastic, you could never tell the difference.

K. said...

Change is good. I am sure other people don't see it as a disaster. :)

Denny said...

I think you need to go with the ones that say "Ash" in the name.