Monday, January 31, 2005

Ice storms

I do not care for snow. I have no desire to live anywhere that requires you shovel off the driveway before you can leave your house. That is one of the many reasons that I live in the middle of Georgia. We do not experience much of the frozen stuff, but believe me when we do people act like fools. So on Friday the weatherman was calling for a wintery mix of ice and snow. So of course everyone in the area has to run to the store to buy batteries, milk, bread, you know all the things that you can't live without if you had to be stuck at home. We spent the night with hubby's family Friday night (they live about 30 minutes from us). I got up in time Saturday to make a pot of coffee before the power went off. The trees were frozen and limbs were falling everywhere, especially on the power lines. I called our house and the answering machine picked up, you know what that meant? Yep, we had power. So we loaded our cars and defrosted the inch thick ice off of the windows and headed south to our house. Well when we got there our power was off too. We still had some hot water, which meant that the power had not been out for long. So I ran and took a HOT shower. It felt wonderful. Did I mention that we had our child this weekend? Yeah we had her and I tell you it is no fun being without power and being an adult, just imagine being an 8 year old in the dark. Oh the things we take for granted. No power means no heat. So we were all bundled up in our warm clothes and layers of socks waiting for the power to come back on. We were lucky because we do have a fireplace with gaslogs and we have a kerosene heater from our days of living in the country. After we filled the kerosene heater and turned it on, the house was warm again. About 3 hours of that and the power came back on, so I took advantage of it. I cleaned the house and washed dishes and clothes and cooked supper. We were just sitting down to eat supper about 8:30p.m. when the power went off again. This time it was dark outside and much colder than it had been earlier. So here we were, lots of candles burning, bored! We talked for a little bit and we played Monopoly Jr. It was nearly midnight when I suggested going to bed. I for one was extremely sleeply, I did not sleep well at the in-laws the night before and I got up early. We went to bed finally, but it was not a restful sleep. I was paranoid about sleeping with the gas logs on, you know carbon monoxide poisoning and all really freaks me out. It also got very chilly once we turned off the kerosene heater, so I was awake more than I slept. I kept opening my eyes to see if the power was on and of course it wasn't. So after not sleeping most of the night and awakening to still no power I was not a very happy person. On top of all that I was having major mood swings, don't you feel bad for my hubby? He was having to deal with moody me and a panicked child. I got out of the bed Sunday morning around 7:30 and decided I would leave the others sleeping while I read the paper. Well something was missing, my morning coffee. I am not real happy until I have some coffee. Finally the power came back on about 10:00 in the morning. The first thing I did was make some coffee. The rest of the day was a little better, but not much. I finally took a nap about 7 p.m. So needless to say I am trying very hard to keep my eyes open today.

2 comments:

Webmiztris said...

I turn into a psycho when the power goes out. Fortunately it doesn't happen here often. NEED TV! NEED COMPUTER! I think I have a serious problem. ;)

Dawn
webmiztris.diaryland.com

Janet said...

What worries me more than snow is ice. Ice is not my friend. Ice is there, lurking, even when you don't see it. Snow is white and fluffy. Even when it's hard, it doesn't hurt. No. I blame it all on ice.